Bethea's Byte
'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing D5FRa
Welcome to Bethea's Byte. If you are a member, please sign in and participate. If you are not a member, please sign up and join the conversation. We'd love to hear from you.
Bethea's Byte
'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing D5FRa
Welcome to Bethea's Byte. If you are a member, please sign in and participate. If you are not a member, please sign up and join the conversation. We'd love to hear from you.
Bethea's Byte
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WELCOME TO YOUR HOME FOR NEWS, OPINIONS, DEBATES & YOUR VOICE -- BETHEA'S BYTE
Welcome guests and members to the home for News, Opinions, Debates and Your Voice... Bethea's Byte. To all guests of this site, please feel free to look things over, but you are encouraged to register and take part in discussing all news reports posted here. You are also encouraged, as a member to post your own news stories. We would love to have discussions on your news reports as well. You are further encouraged to debate these stories as well, especially in the political areas. All I ask is that no matter what side you're on, keep the debates civil. If you are joining us from another forum, we ask you to affiliate with us. We are more than happy to check you out, join your site and participate with you as well. Once again, you are welcome here at Bethea's Byte. Join in the conversation. Spark a discussion. Have a passionate debate. Most importantly, Let your voice be heard! BYTE THIS!

I forgot my password

Notifications
    Who is online?
    In total there are 4 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

The Last Outlaw

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 156 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:22 am
    Statistics
    We have 33 registered users
    The newest registered user is GamrNrd

Our users have posted a total of 4221 messages in 1729 subjects
    Latest topics
    » What are your plans for the day
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Today at 9:34 am by Naiwen

» Here's How Long Derek Chauvin Could Spend in Prison
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:37 pm by The Last Outlaw

» Derek Chauvin Convicted of Murder and Manslaughter in George Floyd's Death
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:55 pm by The Last Outlaw

» 'Wheel of Fortune' Fans Call For Rule Change After Contestant Loses on Minor Technicality
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:12 pm by The Last Outlaw

» Fla. Teacher Who Presented Herself as 'Mother Figure' Accused of Sexually Abusing Student for Years
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:15 pm by The Last Outlaw

» Derek Chauvin Trial: MMA Fighter Who Watched George Floyd's Death Says He Called Police on the Police
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:36 am by The Last Outlaw

» Gun Laws and Stats
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:11 pm by The Last Outlaw

» Floyd Family Kneels Outside Courthouse in Symbolic Statement
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:58 am by The Last Outlaw

» Boulder Shooting: Multiple Injuries, Residents Take Shelter as Police Look For Gunman
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:28 am by The Last Outlaw

» Person of Interest in the Deaths of 5 People, Including Ex-Wife, Allegedly Admits to Murdering 16
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:53 pm by The Last Outlaw

» If You Haven’t Received Your 3rd Stimulus Check Yet, Here’s Why Wednesday Matters
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:17 pm by The Last Outlaw

» Free Byte: What Grinds My Gears? Cancel Culture
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:42 pm by Kyng

» Tennessee Sister and Brother Charged with First-Degree Murder in the Death of Their Disabled Mother
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:37 pm by The Last Outlaw

» Spa Shooting Victims ID'd As Biden, Harris Head To Atlanta
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:18 pm by The Last Outlaw

» Food and more!
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:49 am by Naiwen

» Michelle Obama Responds to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Oprah Winfrey Interview
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:11 am by The Last Outlaw

» Queen Elizabeth Says Saddened by Harry and Meghan's Experiences
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:53 pm by The Last Outlaw

» Suicide Prevention
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:09 pm by The Last Outlaw

» Jury Selection in Derek Chauvin Case Starts Despite Prosecutors Wanting to Halt Trial
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:35 am by The Last Outlaw

» House Progressives Back Revised COVID-19 Aid Bill as Vote Nears
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing Clock-10Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:49 pm by The Last Outlaw

May 2021
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

CBOX
    Affiliate With Bethea’s Byte

Bethea's Byte

Anti-Spam Bots!

Submit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free!

The Coffee House

Planet Nexus

IconSkouliki

'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Last Outlaw
    The Last Outlaw
    Male Posts : 1739

http://betheasbyte.com/forum

PostThe Last Outlaw Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:49 pm

'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing IlWna

From The Hill

Rebecca Shabad and Mitch Felan of NBC News wrote:WASHINGTON — Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle came away with vastly different interpretations of two classified briefings that top administration officials held on Wednesday about the airstrike last week that killed top Iranian General Qassem Soleimani.

Speaking alongside Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, said, "I had hoped and expected to receive more information outlining the legal, factual and moral justification for the attack and left somewhat unsatisfied on that front." He added, "it was probably the worst briefing I've seen at least on a military issue in the nine years I've served in the United States Senate."

"I find this insulting and demeaning," he said, adding that he now plans to vote in favor of a new war powers resolution from Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia. "That briefing changed my mind," he said.

Paul concurred, saying, "Today, this is Sen. Lee and I saying, we are not abdicating our duty."

'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing $

The officials leading the briefing included Defense Secretary Mark Esper, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, CIA Director Gina Haspel and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley.

Democrats in the basement of the Capitol emerged from the briefing, which lasted about 90 minutes, expressing similar frustration with the Trump administration.

"We really don't have an idea of whether or not there was an imminent reason to do this," Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, D-N.J., said about the airstrike targeting Soleimani.

'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing $

Democrats said that they didn’t hear anything during the closed-door briefing that suggested there was intelligence that showed Soleimani posed as an imminent threat to the U.S. They also said that they were not satisfied with the legal justification on which officials are basing the airstrike, which is the authorization for the use of military force (AUMF) passed by Congress in 2002 to invade Iraq.

"The administration firmly believes that based on good intelligence, the threat was immediate," said Rep. Anthony Brown, D-Md., “But it appears to me that the actions that were taken was much more of a response to the past conduct of General Soleimani, and I've not yet heard sort of like the facts underlying what the potential imminent future threat that was posed by General Soleimani. I didn't hear anything about alternatives to neutralize or address the threat."

Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Va., told reporters that the briefing was "sophomoric and unconvincing" and said that it was "absurd" that the administration is basing the action on the 2002 AUMF.

"No case was made for imminence. No case was made for thinking this through, and I leave more troubled than when I went into it," he said.

Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., tweeted that he, "Just left the briefing. The bottom line is this: I did not hear evidence of a specific imminent threat that would allow an attack without congressional authorization. With consequences as serious as these, that is unacceptable. Congress needs to act."

Rep. Mike Quigley, D-Ill., suggested that it was entirely predictable that Democrats wouldn’t get the answers they wanted, saying, "If you had an expectation that you'd get something out of that, you haven't been here very long and you had false expectations."

Coming out of a similar briefing held in the Senate, Cory Booker, D-N.J., said, "This was a wholly unsatisfying briefing ... where I was presented with no evidence about this threshold and imminence" and called it "very frustrating."

Most Republicans, however, left the briefing with a different interpretation of what was presented, defending the president and the strike.

"I thought the briefing was very helpful — to have the secretary of state, secretary defense and the other intelligence officials really walk through just how long of a history Soleimani had of inflicting terror and murder not only to Americans, but to others, our allies in the region, and the fact that he was plotting further attacks to kill Americans made it clear that it was time to take him out," said House Minority Whip Steve Scalise, R-La.

Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., a close Trump ally, said Haspel "gave the greatest breadth of information that was not only compelling but certainly exhaustive in terms of the number of attacks and planned attacks that have been contemplated and why the need for action was necessitated."

Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., told reporters after the Senate briefing that he was convinced Soleimani posed an urgent threat to the U.S. and that the U.S. was right to attack him.

"At a time when this was probably the most strategic response that could have been made, I think the other alternatives might have cost more lives,” said Blunt, who when asked how imminent the threat was, he responded, "Days."

Democrats reiterated their calls from earlier in the day for Congress to vote on a new war powers resolution to replace ones passed by Congress to invade Afghanistan in 2001 and Iraq in 2002.

Progressive Democrats have been pushing proposals floated by Reps. Ro Khanna, D-Calif., and Barbara Lee, D-Calif., and expressed openness to a measure by Elissa Slotkin, D-Mich., which was announced by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., on Sunday. Kaine has proposed similar legislation in the Senate.

Pelosi announced Wednesday that the House would vote Thursday on Slotkin's resolution, saying in a statement that the House will "honor our duty to keep the American people safe" and "will move forward with a War Powers Resolution to limit the President’s military actions regarding Iran."

Khanna has introduced similar legislation with Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., that would prohibit any funding for military force in or against Iran without prior congressional authorization. And Lee, who has long pushed for a new war powers resolution, is calling for a repeal of the 2002 war powers resolution which Congress passed in order to invade Iraq.

"We have to make sure that Congress reasserts its role in exercising responsibility to, if in fact, any president wants to use force or conduct military strikes," Lee said after the briefing, "He or she must come to Congress for authorization."

Both Lee and Paul said Wednesday they would support Kaine's resolution.

I'm glad the House is going to take some kind of legal action to keep America safe because I believe the guy in the White House could care less. I read where and Iranian protester said, "I love America and I love Americans, but I hate your President." Trust me, there are many Americans who echo that same sentiment. And to the Republicans who are speaking out against the Administration on Trump's War Powers... Thanks for FINALLY waking up!

Just Saying.
    'Insulting and Demeaning': Lawmakers Rip Trump Administration After Iran Briefing I6goy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum